Melbourne Sedation Dentistry
At Creating Beautiful Smiles of Melbourne, we pride ourselves on offering gentle, attentive dental services that keep our patients completely relaxed and comfortable. We do our utmost to ensure patients feel right at home in our office, but we understand that for some patients the most attentive and caring dentistry services aren’t enough to make visiting the dentist a comfortable experience. For these patients, we are happy to offer sedation dentistry services. If you’re new to our office or want to learn more about sedation dentistry, give our Melbourne dentists and dental care team a call. We’ll do our best to answer your questions over the phone, or a team member will be happy to schedule a consultation appointment.
Why Would I Need Dental Sedation?
No two patients are exactly alike, and before we recommend using a sedative, we will work with you to ensure sedation is the right option to keep you comfortable. Some of the reasons patients choose to use dental sedatives include:
- Severe dental phobia or anxiety that makes it difficult or impossible for patients to visit our office for necessary dental treatment
- Patients who have sensitive teeth, gums, and gag reflexes that makes receiving dental treatment extremely painful
- Patients who have cognitive or physical impairments or injuries that make staying still in a dental chair difficult or impossible
- Young patients whose lack of understanding could make receiving dental treatment without sedation unsafe
How do Oral Sedatives Work?
Oral conscious sedation requires patients to take a prescription sedative medication about an hour before their appointment. The sedative effect will take hold before patients arrive in our office. For this reason, you’ll need a friend or family member to drive you to and from the dental practice. During treatment, you’ll remain relaxed and experience diminished discomfort, but you’ll be awake and able to respond to our questions.
What Happens After My Treatment?
Following your treatment, the effects of sedation will linger. We recommend patients plan to rest and recuperate for 12 to 24 hours following their last dosage. If you experience any adverse effects as your sedative wears off, reach out to us right away.
What are the Benefits of Oral Conscious Sedation?
There are a number of different dental sedation methods available. We rely on oral conscious sedatives because it allows patients to achieve a moderate level of sedation that lasts through even very complex treatments. Some of the many benefits associated with this sedative method include:
- Prescription sedatives are safe and well tested with few adverse effects
- You’ll start to relax before you ever leave home, so you won’t struggle with the fear to head into our office for treatment
- The effects of oral sedation are long lasting, so you’ll stay relaxed during the most complex treatments
- You’ll feel relaxed but still be conscious, so you can answer questions and won’t feel a loss of control
- Most patients completely forget their time in our office after they visit, which can be a big plus for patients who struggle with serious dental phobias
Our dedicated team genuinely looks forward to serving your every oral healthcare need. Send us an email or call today for a free consultation, and discover the difference our patient-centric approach can make in your next dental experience.