Long considered mainly for children, fluoride treatments have been proven tremendously beneficial for adults as well.
The increase in tooth decay in younger adults is due to the significantly increased presence of refined carbohydrates (sugars) in our daily diet (e.g. bottled and flavored waters, soft drinks, highly processed foods, breath mints, etc.).
For cosmetically minded smiles, tooth sensitivity, resulting from bleaching, is significantly reduced with the application of topical fluoride.
Fluoride helps prevent tooth decay by making the tooth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque bacteria and sugars in the mouth.
Benefits of Fluoride:
- Strengthens your enamel to prevent cavities
- Stops or even reverses the tooth decay process
- Keeps teeth strong and solid by preventing loss of minerals
- Helps keep and assist in the development of children’s permanent teeth
- Helps speed remineralization in both children and adults
- Aids in preventing cavities on the roots ( a problem for those with receding gums)
- Reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth. This can aid in preventing gingivitis in those with healthy gum tissue and decrease the likelihood of bone loss in those with periodontal disease.
Fluoride is applied to teeth to strengthen the enamel and form a protective barrier around teeth. Fluoride can help to prevent future cavities and also really help with areas of sensitivity like gum recession. Although not for everyone, fluoride is not just for kids anymore.
At your next visit please ask our hygienist for a fluoride treatment so you can benefit from it as well.